Monday, May 11, 2009

Starting your first career is like starting kindergarten.

I've been a big kid now for a whole 3 wks! One thing I noticed within the first week is that starting at a new company in your first job in an industry you've watched from the sidelines for a few years is like starting kindergarten.

Let me explain...you try on dozens of outfits until you finally have that perfect outfit, that is unique yet allows you to fit in.

Then you leave your house with your packed lunch five minutes early to the bus stop, because as your mother told you many years ago "You don't want to be late on your first day!" Sound familiar?

Your first day you wait in the office, for someone to show you the way and then lead you to your desk where you meet everyone from A to Z, just trying to get the key names down and then hoping you catch others in meetings. All the while on the tour you're just hoping to remember where the nearest bathroom and printer is, let alone where the studio is.

Then come lunches in the common lunch area, and company functions like happy hour, birthday/anniversary celebrations, bbq's which can all be classified as recess. Just like in kindergarten, at a new job you rely heavily on the 'buddy system.' In KD its usually a 3rd grader that makes sure you don't get lost, and make sure you're on the right bus. In the real world its usually your desk mate, who you see the most, and thus far know the most. For lunches and happy hours you rely heavily on this buddy system as the new kid. Even at 22 you don't want to be the kid in the corner shyly watching from afar.

I remember going to my kindergarten orientation, and being so excited by school and all of the discovery and promise it held. My first day I asked for homework. Needless to say I come from a long line of overachievers.

I remember going to visit my first agency, and being so excited by the environment and all of the discovery and promise it held for me. My first day at my new job I asked "Where can I start helping."

With any transition in life there are growing pains, but there also comes a hunger to learn something new, and to achieve goals. So far the hunger to learn and achieve goals is by far outweighing the small growing pains. 

No comments:

Post a Comment