Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Superbowl Ads: Best & Worst

I know I'm a day late on getting this post out, but work and ad league bowling came first.

The Superbowl is always a favorite day in my group of ad friends for many reasons. We all make our mom's most beloved appetizer dish (thanks mom for the spinach dip!), drink our favorite beer, mute the game and critique the ads.

This year was a little different and more intense thanks to mine and Suz's beloved Packers making their first appearance since we were tots. No muting the game this year, just four hours of straight glued to the screen ready to take it all in.  GO PACK GO!

Also an amazing new ad drinking game was invented that night: everyone gets a category (beer, cars, tv/movies, snacks, internet companies) and when you're category is on you have to drink (only ad geeks would think of this).

I was blessed with cars and considering 38% of the ads were cars you can imagine how I was feeling by the time Glee came on.

Anyways onto my review of the best and worst of the Superbowl:

Best of Superbowl XLV


Volkswagon: The force & The beetle (Deutsch, LA)


I'm clearly not alone in my love for "The Force" 21 million others and counting agree its adorable its funny and it hits all the right notes. Many question if it will sell Passats, or if its more about the adorable Darth Vadar. ROI is too soon to tell on this, but I think if anything its gotten everyone talking about the VW brand again. Loved The Beetle commercial too.

Top of mind brand awareness is the point of Superbowl commercials.



Bridgestone: Reply All (Agency: Richards Group)



So brilliant because if you're in the working world you may have had this terrifying moment. A great spot utilizing witty humor instead of fart jokes.


Honorable Mentions:

Chevrolet: Tommy (Agency: Goodby & Silverstein)

Funny and an easy get that a man's Chevy is as reliable as his best friend. 

Chrysler: Born on Fire (Agency: Wieden & Kennedy/Universal McCann)

I think Chrylser may have read my blog post and taken a few notes. Thank You. This spot is two years too late, but thank you for finally saying it (you could have done it without Eminem).

Hyundai: Deprogramming (Agency: Innocean)

Anytime you bring digital jedi Jeff Bridges into an ad like this, I'm going to have a soft spot for it. Clever messaging about compact cars and steering away from the traditional car spot route.

Worst: 

Groupon: Tibet (Agency: Crispin Porter & Bogusky)

Don't get me started on the ridiculousness of this ad. I dont' agree with Ad Age's review one bit. It makes no sense and is straight out offensive to causes that involve real people's suffering.

Best Buy: Ozzy & Bieber (Agency: Crispin Porter & Bogusky)

Yes Bieber and Ozzy are funny together, but I couldn't tell you for one second what the ad was about or what product Best Buy was promoting. I was too distracted by creepy Bieber.

HomeAway: Smush (Agency: Vendor)

That terrifying fake test baby was reason enough to put this ridiculous ad on the worst list.

Skechers: The Break-Up (Inhouse)

The Kardashians are my guilty pleasure, but this ad was just so over the top, make me want to vomit up my cheese curds I think I headed for another Stella two-thirds through.


Those are my thoughts on this year's Superbowl. What did you think?  What was your favorite ad?

No comments:

Post a Comment