Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire. Does it deserve Best Picture?


Last night after two failed attempts I finally saw Slumdog Millionaire. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. It is grand, beautiful, emotional, a true love story. Danny Boyle has created a great film, one that the Indian Tourism Board definitely doesn't want you to see. Can you blame them though? It takes place in the slums of Mumbai, and shows the harsh reality of growing up on the streets as an orphan in one of India's largest cities. Yet intertwined into this dismal setting is one constant emotion, hope. The emotion of the year that has overwhelmed many of us in these dismal times.

So my question is does Slumdog Millionaire deserve Best Picture or is it simply a reflection of how we're all feeling in this rough year? Will this picture stand the test of time and become a classic? Many have said Benjamin Button will stand the test of time and become a classic. Its still on my list and I've decided once I've seen Button I can decide for myself who I think deserves Best Picture: Slumdog or Button. In the end we all know its down to these two films anyway.

I recommend Slumdog. Its a beautiful story narrated by a beautiful score, with an engrossing cast from the small children to Frieda Pinto and Dev Patel. It has the makings of a Best Picture and we'll find out on February 22nd.

No comments:

Post a Comment